Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lesson #10: The Dark Side of the Web

As far as I know I have never been the victim or target of a phishing scam. One of my favorite activities is deleting e-mails without opening them so that probably helps. Shopping online is one of my other favorite activities which could potentially make me a future target. To protect myself I don't respond to solicitations. I figure if I don't initiate the contact I shouldn't respond. And I NEVER give out personal information to someone who solicits it. I think intuition and common sense play a big part in preventing these types of scams. Paying bills online is something I've avoided for safety reasons, but my environmental side keeps nagging me to give it some consideration. After all I find no problem with consuming online, but I can't manage my finances or pay bills? It just doesn't make sense and I am nothing if not sensible.

1 comment:

OCLS Learn 2.0 said...

I think if you continue your "favorite thing to do" and avoid anything that you didn't initiate, paying your bills online will be safe. Great post!

Tom